Sunday, March 6, 2011

Too much of a good thing...

I've been wondering how long it'd take for my wrist to finally start acting up. I suffer from carpel tunnel syndrome (like most American's) in my right hand. I currently work at a library, and before that I worked at a bookstore. Ergo, I work extensively with books, and the repetitive motion of shelving and arranging them is destroying my wrist.
Not only have been writing like an insane person these last couple weeks, but I've also been putting extra hours at the library. Last night, an hour before I got off, the sharp pain started:

I thought, "Shit, I have a 4,000 word chapter to edit when I get home."
I put on my wrist brace and told my husband, "I need to keep writing."
"I know, but you really shouldn't when your hand's like that." He gestured vaguely to my brace.
"I'll type one handed," I postulated.
"Then that might work."
"What if I get super good at typing one handed?"
"Then that would be awesome."

Challenge accepted, Kyle. Challenge accepted.

So this weekend, I'll be typing one handed.
Of course, at the time it didn't occur to either of us that this might be somewhat bad for my left wrist. But hey, I'm left handed, that's my mega-hand. Success shall be his.
I just realized that, when thinking about them individually, I genderize my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment