Friday, August 5, 2011

Two Kinds of Vacations

Having just returned from a vacation, I've temporarily become an expert on vacations. I've come to the conclusion that there are two types of vacations:

  1. The Exciting Vacation: Where you go somewhere exotic or exciting and you get a tan and go swimming and generally spend way more money then you should. At these sort of vacations you exhaust yourself everyday and get far too little sleep. When the vacation is finally over, you feel rather sure that you now need a vacation from a vacation, or a pain killer and a seriously long nap.

  2. The Relaxing Vacation: You go somewhere scenic and peaceful and plant yourself like a fern. You don't go anywhere, you sleep in and and take naps and read books and generally do nothing. Maybe you're like me and you visit family, or maybe you just stay at home, or maybe you rent a yurt by the the ocean and teach us all how it's done. Whatever way you choose, you're relaxing and escaping for a week. You put off your obligations and focus on yourself. You ignore you email box, you catch up on games and you don't think about the mound of things you have waiting for you at the end of the week.
So those are your options, but either way coming back from a vacation is a shock. Either because you're suffering from sunburn, jet lag, and exhaustion, or because you're suffering from the shock of having to once more face responsibly.

I have a serious case of the latter. My email box has exploded, my house has exploded (we're having a garage sale this weekend, so that hasn't exactly helped), and now my head feels like it's exploding. I've been back from vacation for two days and already I want to crawl back to bed and coffee and Colin Firth in Mr. Darcy's hosiery (You might wonder at this point what the hell I've been up to this last week and a half, and I'll hint that it has a lot too do with sleeping, caffeine, grandparents, shopping, and Jane Austen.)

So while I recover from vacation system-shock, here's Chapter Two of Sulfur ready to read!

Love,
Arreana

No comments:

Post a Comment