Friday, August 12, 2011

Hair!

So, I have hair. Lots of it. It's thick and somewhat wavy and a rather neutral shade of brown. It's not particularly wonderful, it's usually incredibly difficult, and right now it's about fifteen inches longer than I want it to be. I like short hair. I like being able to use a tiny dab of shampoo to get the job done. I like waking up with bed head, throwing some hair spray on it and claiming it's "fashion". I don't like this long hair.

But my step-aunt-in-law (what a connection!) and my step-step-cousin (the plot thickens!) have inspired me to make the sacrifice and grow it out. They have been donating their hair for years now to Locks of Love, a charity that provides hair pieces to children who need them.

I've grown out my hair for two years now, not only because it's for an really flat-out awesome cause, but because it's something I can afford to do. One of these days, I'll be able to do more, but now, in such economically troubled times, all I can do is pull out my hair... somewhat literally.

So, as I embark to the hair salon to finally -- at last! -- cut this brown mass from my head, I suggest that other ladies (or men) consider doing the same. Aside from the wonderful "you're helping a child" feeling, there are still more reasons to consider it:

  • Your hair's probably nicer than mine. Donate it so that some child doesn't get stuck with mine.
  • It's probably hot where you live. Not here, in the Pacific Northwest, where everyday is in the 60's, but maybe where you live. Think of those hot days when all your hair does is act as an insulator for your sweaty, clammy neck.
  • Try a new style. Some girls almost never cut their hair. My sister for instance, has had long, long hair since elementary school. I'm looking at you, Sis, when I say, "Try something new, cut off that pony tail and give it to someone who can't grow their own!"
  • You're helping a child, dammit.

There, shame-free plug (pun not intended) complete! I hope I have inspired someone to do the same.

Now, as your reward, I present Chapter 3: Cedar and Pine

No comments:

Post a Comment