Tuesday, April 24, 2012

From Egypt to Norway


I have been toying with the idea of an episodic novel. Not really toying, really, but full out trying it. To escape the intensity of my Beauty and the Beast retelling (which really is quite difficult to write at times) I’m been escaping into a short story that takes place in 900s Norway. It’s refreshing to one day be writing Predynastic Egypt and the next to be totally immersed in the Viking age. I’m having fun between the two of them, and while the Egyptian romance is shaping up to be quite long (120,000+ words) I’m hoping to keep this little Viking tale short… at first. An overarching story has emerged that laces in nicely with actual Norwegian history, but I want to approach it in installments. I want my characters to grow in self-contained adventures, and I feel that the self-publishing industry is ripe for such episodic story-telling.

So Saldis Bergsdatter may yet have her chance to meet the public, and though she’s a little dull-witted, she will earnestly try to prove to her mother, her father, and her soon-to-be husband, that she is everything a prince could hope for in a wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment