Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Truth About Arreana

She's a shameless nerd.

The interesting thing about this claim is how popular it's become in recent years. I remember when being a nerd was a bad thing. When you hid the fact you programed games on your scientific calculator. We're talking the sort of nerds that in high school would clump together in a giant nerd crowd to talk about games, philosophy, and politics before college made it cool. I find that people that use the phrase "I'm a nerd" nowadays mean it as "I like Star Wars and zombies and bacon-related products, aren't I nerdy in a hip way?" or "I like manga and anime so much that I dress up as my favorite characters when I go to work." I'm a Revenge of the Nerds sort of nerd, the awkward, hiccuping female breed.

My husband and I went to high school together -- yes, we were high school sweethearts. Back then I always kind of considered him the leader of the nerds, the one-to-rule-them-all per say (to throw in an ironically nerdy quote). I, meanwhile, was the only girl who came to their nerdy gatherings. (At this point you may ask, what is a nerdy gathering? Back then it was playing Magic the Gathering, watching bad horror movies for the purpose of critiquing them, and taking turns playing Stepmania. Lan parties... Diablo II Lan parties, how I miss those days... but I digress.) So my husband was at the hub at these activities, and I was the only girl. A predestined match in my opinion.

We're still nerds to this day. We're big gamers, we talk politics obsessively, we get into frequent "math fights" that I usually lose. We use words in every day conversation that most people have never heard. We critqiue scientific experiments we read about (both of us being in the sciences, this is something of a habit). We're generally insufferable to the most normal people. Which is why I usually keep my nerdom hush-hush.

So most people don't know that I: love Minecraft, play games almost constantly (in the last year this has included, Fall Out NV, Dragon Age II, Dungeon Keeper I (my favorite game as a kid and one I'm enjoying replaying), Portal 2, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and a multitude of others). To top it off, I spend way too much time on reddit.com/r/gaming.

Meanwhile, I'm writing. The gaming, the bad movies, the card games, and political debates, are more a relief for my brain. When I'm tired, when I can take no more of my characters and need a moment to be me, I turn to Kyle and say, "Let's go get coffee and talk about dissections."

So now you know, rant complete. (But I still can't help liking bacon)

(Sulfur Update: Chapter 1-4 written.)

No comments:

Post a Comment